18 September 2009

2nd Grade Now

Bumps and scrapes and scratches too
Daddy will you take me to the zoo?
All the day he sits a wishing
Come on now daddy, let's go fishing!
Three, four, shut the door
How about some candy from the store?
Oh how time keeps slipping by
It's ok daddy, please don't cry...
You're growing up so big and tall
Come on now Dad, let's pass some ball
Soon enough you'll be on your own
Goodbye my Dad, the years have flown...


(By Megan Miles)




Where has the time gone? Isaiah is almost 4 weeks into his 2nd grade year.


Suddenly he's into plaid shorts, wearing polo shirts,
growing his hair out longer and shaggier and wearing skater shoes.
Oh, I think he's growing up!

Isaiah was lucky enough to have his mom, dad and uncle Josh
take him to his first day of school. We watched as he walked in to his new classroom with Ms. Holeman (a teacher hired just 10 days before school began) and as he put his things in his cubby I noticed he is suddenly taller than the cubbies. He took a seat in the desk he was assigned and his chest came up above the desktop and I could see the desks were a little bigger this year. Oh my, he is growing up!

His dad, mom and uncle Josh waited forever in the pick-up line to get him from school. Usually he has lots of stories and things to tell us and we couldn't wait to hear them.
He ran to the car when his name was called over the megaphone and we all asked "How was your 1st day? Did you like your teacher? Did you like the kids sitting by you? What did you do? Who did you play with at recess? What did you eat for lunch? All were answered with simple words like "Yeah", "I don't know", "I don't remember", "Ethan & William", "stuff", "chicken and other stuff". Another moment of sadness overwhelmed me as I realized I will know less and less about his days now. He's just growing up....

My hands were busy through the day I didn't have much time to play
The little games you asked me to I didn't have much time for you.
I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook, but when you'd bring your picture book
And ask me please to share your fun, I'd say: "A little later, son".
I'd tuck you in all safe at night and hear your prayers, turn out the light,
Then tiptoe softly to the door... I wish I'd stayed a minute more.
For life is short, the years rush past...a little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side, his precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away, there are no longer games to play,
No good-night kiss, no prayers to hear...that all belongs to yesteryear.
My hands, once busy, now are still, the days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I could go back and do the little things you asked me to.
(By Alice E Chase)
May we all take advantage of the "little moments".

4 comments:

  1. Well That is not exactly a feel good poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree joshua... made me quite teary in fact and if my kids were here I'd go hug them! As they says the days are long at times but the years fly by... precious moments! And what a precious boy Isaiah is... we just love him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um..the poems make me feel funny! Where do you find these poems!!! Especially with my baby inside of my tummy! I am going to try to not have "busy hands"!!! Isaiah is too cute! I can't believe how they are all growing up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could just write a poem about how my floors are messy, but my kids are happy! That will be a feel good poem, but its not always the case and we need to have little reminders to focus on the people and not the surroundings and busyness. : )

    ReplyDelete