I know everyone has had that time in life when you are debating what you and your family or friends are going to do about something and everything is just a little unsettled until this decision is made. We've been living about 9 months this way and finally before Christmas the final decision was made that Billy would attend Chef school. We announced this to about 45 people who received Christmas letters from us this year and I felt like we could start 2009 fresh with a plan and a purpose. Well, although I am not complaining, my dear husband took me by surprise when he decided to go back to college for a criminal justice degree instead! Before you think he fell off his rocker, I have to explain this complete 180!
Every since I've known Billy (About 13.5 years now!) he has talked about wanting to be a police offer or on a swat team. I've encouraged him to go for it several times and he continued to say that this was not a family type job and he didn't think it was a good idea. However, it comes up about every two years! Over Christmas break Billy was talking to a member of our family about what he was going to do and he said he was going to Chef school, but then he mentioned that he had always wanted to be a cop and why. I was on the outside of this conversation, but listening in. Later I told Billy what I had observed....It appeared he was very happy when he talked about being a Chef, but he looked rather giddy and had a twinkle in his eyes when he talked about being a cop. I suggested that he just think and pray about that a little bit.
Well, the thinking didn't take long this time. We were back from our vacation two days and Billy had enrolled in the criminal justice program at our local college, been to visit the Chief's at two different police stations, requested his old transcripts and shot records and applied for jobs at both of the stations he visited. He said he felt very uneasy about leaving us for six months to go to Chef school and he felt very much at peace all of the sudden about pursuing a career as a cop.
It is funny how sometimes the nudges of God are like a slow drip and sometimes they are like a roaring river. This decision was a roaring river, but I' am so glad that he has made the decision to pursue what he has always wanted to be.
He's just finished week two of class and he's enjoying it and adjusting back to college life easily. He has three professors. One is the head of the police academy, and the other two are detectives in the area. Billy loves their stories so no sleeping in class for him!
Billy has now applied at about 5 police stations in the area, talked to a Chief or a Leiutenant at almost all of them and gone for a ride-along with one officer on the 2 pm - 10 pm shift. He loved that! We know that the door will open when it is the right time for Billy.
The funniest part about all of this is now Alyssa runs around saying things like, "I'm a police offer. I won't hurt you. I help people!" I think she's been talking to her daddy!
How exciting for you all. What a fun adventure for Billy! Hope to run into you soon again at church!
ReplyDeleteLove, jka for all
I am so proud of Billy for following his heart. There is something missing when you try to pursue other things and inside you will always know you feel called to do something else. I feel good about it. I am happy that he is pursuing a dream of his. I know that you all have to do it with him and he should feel so encouraged to have your support. Cute little Alyssa!! He's going to look GOOD in a uniform too!! :)
ReplyDelete